Saturday, October 31, 2009

Just browsing ...

Photo of Young People's Browsing Room from New York Public Library's photostream.

I’ve really enjoyed this sightseeing trip. Was entertained by the video doing the comparison between the four browsers.

Then decided to do some exploring myself and did tours of Google Chrome and Firefox. I’ve downloaded both. Firefox was trouble-free. Encountered some problems with Google Chrome’s installation. Reports on each to follow:

Firefox

  • The video tour highlighted the speed and security aspects of the browser. The private browsing, scam identifiers and “forget about this site” features were of note. I was intrigued by the “awesome bar” and the idea that it learns as you use it. The bookmarking tool is certainly easy to use and edit.
  • I admit I was taken in by the add-ons mentioned in Fashion Your Firefox. Some sounded promising but weren’t quite what I’d expected. StumbleUpon and the Shutterbug options got my attention immediately. Of course, News Junkie is a prerequisite for me, particularly its Read It Later. Lost plenty of time playing in the Decorator area. Appreciated the Digital Pack Rat especially the Thumbstrips.

Google Chrome

Features that I prized:

  • Like the Google search page, Google Chrome’s interface is clutter- free. The arrangement of the toolbar and address bar allow for so much room to view a web page itself and not the browser.
  • Chrome’s double duty all in one address bar & search box was an adjustment that I admit took a little getting used to. I suppose I don’t mind the set up of the separate ones as per Firefox.
  • Liked the options to “Pick a theme” by artists or google. What to choose - Wes Craven, Mulberry, Anna Sui or Hedgehog in the fog?
  • Adored the huge list of shortcut keys although I don’t think my memory is quite up to the job to retain even half of them.

Photo from State Library of Queensland's photostream

Which is best? At this stage I’m just happy to find the content I’m after, however the browser looks and operates. I have a leaning towards Firefox for all its customization options, but then again I am in love with the layout of Chrome - there are still so many other browsers I haven't tried yet. Haven’t quite made up my mind. So many goodies to choose from the window. Still browsing, thanks for asking though.

No comments:

Post a Comment