Sunday, October 18, 2009

Casting a wide net

Photo from State Library and Archives of Florida's photostream.

On this latest fishing expedition I have stopped off at a few hot spots to see where the fish are biting. I have even jumped into several "streams" in the hope of catching some interesting cod casts, sorry I mean podcasts.


I am by no means a podcast aficionado but am very familiar with the attributes that make it so enticing. The beauty of being able to access what you want anywhere, anytime and listen to it whenever, wherever you please is a revelation. Convenience and the attraction of being able take podcasts with you has many hooked fish in the Internet Ocean. It means that there is now no excuse for letting the big one get away - there's always a podcast archive.



Photo from Oregon State University Archives' photostream



Photo from State Library of NSW photostream
My favourite fishing (podcasting) spots include ones that :








  • enlighten me: I love to catch topical and not so typical podcasts on news & current affairs. I prefer to visit podcasts with a slightly different angle or more in depth approach. Enjoy most of ABC's podcasts. A particular favourite is ForaRadio. Also like throwing a line in to catch some of ABC's sport podcasts.
  • educate me: Whether it's learning a language or a song, podcasts can be a rewarding expedition on the education freeway. I've found podcasts to take me to lectures and festivals. I didn't have to worry about finding a good seat or deal with noisy distractions. I could pause at any time. I spied a lot of libraries on this journey making use of podcasts for sharing author talks, book reviews and exhibitions. Also caught sight of some using it for training and tours.
  • entertain me: Podcasts can brighten and lighten the day allowing me to catch up on those shows that I've missed out and to listen to them at my own leisure. So, if someone tells me again about the crazy thing on the Hamish and Andy show I can go to their podcasts to hear it myself. Music & podcasting go hand in hand and give you a front row ticket. I am a fan of NPR Music with its music interviews and performances. For instance, I could listen to a two-hour Tom Waits concert that I could never get to. Again ABC offers so much, for example, Triple J's Richard Kingsmill's podcast.

    On this trip there were a variety of professional broadcast podcasts and unique amateur (& bizarre) offerings that were worth paying a visit. For example, askaninja with its comic take on a ninja handbook. By the way, on a little side trip I snagged plenty of fishing podcasts - threw most of them back though - bit dry for my taste. Anyway, there are plenty of other podcasts in the sea. This is a stream I think that will never be fished out.

No comments:

Post a Comment